In her trial and appellate practice for public and private clients, Jessica Skelton emphasizes municipal law, federal and state constitutional issues, real estate litigation, and eminent domain and relocation issues.
Jessica Skelton has extensive experience representing public and private clients in both trial and appellate litigation and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Her practice emphasizes municipal law, federal and state constitutional issues, real estate litigation, and eminent domain and relocation issues. She also counsels public clients on a wide range of issues including public records, open meetings and meeting protocols, use of public funds, and ethics issues.
Prior to joining Pacifica Law Group in 2011, Jessica spent five years in the Appellate, Governmental, and Constitutional Litigation Practice Group at K&L Gates. Before entering private practice, Jessica served as a judicial clerk for Justice Mary Fairhurst of the Washington State Supreme Court, where she assisted in drafting opinions on issues including Washington public disclosure laws and state and federal constitutional matters. During law school, Jessica worked in the chambers of the Honorable Paul De Muniz, Oregon Supreme Court, and the Honorable Ann Aiken, United States District Court for the District of Oregon.
Jessica donates a significant number of hours each year to pro bono service and has worked with organizations including Legal Voice, Democracy Forward, the ACLU, and Volunteer Advocates for Immigration Justice.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Brown University, B.A., Modern Culture & Media
- University of Oregon, J.D. (Moot Court Board; Women’s Law Forum, Director; Constitutional Law tutor; Regional Client Counseling Competition Finalist; Regional Mock Trial Competition)
- Selected for Washington Super Lawyers, 2018-2021
- Selected for Washington Rising Stars, 2010-2015
- Washington Women Lawyers, State Board Member of the Year 2009
- Potential Changes to the Eminent Domain Process (Panelist), The Seminar Group’s 8th Annual Eminent Domain Seminar, May, 2018
- The Interpretation Dance: Gap-Filling, Rulemaking, and Municipal Code Amendments, Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys Fall Conference, October, 2017
- The Year in Eminent Domain: Case Law and Legislative Update, The Seminar Group’s 7th Annual Eminent Domain Seminar, March, 2017
- A Field Trip Through the Pitfalls of the Public Records Act: Public Records Act Policies in the Digital Age, Council of School Attorneys Spring Workshop, May, 2016
- Quasi-Judicial But Not Quasi-Ethical: Conflicts of Interest and the Appearance of Fairness for Hearing Examiners, Hearing Examiners of Washington Conference, October, 2015
- A Taxing Problem: When Can a Municipality Tax Another Governmental Entity?, Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys Fall Conference, October, 2014
- Regular presenter of trainings on Public Records Act, Open Public Meetings Act, parliamentary procedures and ethics to Bellevue City Council and Boards and Commissions
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2016
- Legal Voice, 2007–Present (Legal Intake Committee Member, 2013-Present; Cooperating Counsel 2007-Present)
- King County Bar Association, Appellate Section Executive Committee, 2012-2019 (Chair, 2017-2018)
- Washington Women Lawyers, 2007-2012 (President, 2010-2011; President Elect, 2009-2010; Secretary, 2007-2009)