he, him, his
- Download vCard
- Download Bio PDF
Toby advises public sector clients regarding tax-exempt and taxable debt financings, and related municipal law issues.
Toby serves as bond counsel and disclosure counsel to cities, counties, school districts, public universities, ports, and special purpose districts. In this capacity, he advises clients regarding tax-exempt and taxable debt financings, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, intergovernmental loans, and short-term financing structures. Toby also advises governmental clients on related municipal law issues, including revenue options available under state law, local taxes and levies, and elections.
Prior to joining the firm, Toby was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Seattle and the Washington D.C. area. He also previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Susan L. Carney of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and the Honorable Liam O’Grady of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. In his free time, Toby enjoys skiing, hiking, and mountaineering with family and friends, and following Seattle’s local sports teams.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., Government and History, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School, J.D., magna cum laude (Ames Moot Court Competition Winner; Editor, Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys, Civil Topics Committee Member
- Puget Sound Finance Officers Association, Board Member
- Advising school districts on revenue options available under state law, including enrichment and capital levies.
- Counseling municipalities on compliance with election laws and regulations, including Public Disclosure Commission guidelines.
- Assisting municipalities with adoption and revision of excise tax codes.
- Presenting trainings on the mechanics of bond issuances, and state law, federal securities law, and federal tax law governing municipal bonds.
- Advising municipalities on application of state excise taxes to municipal projects and operations.
- Counseling state and local agencies on compliance with laws and regulations governing federal funding programs.