School District Procurement and Construction
We advise and represent school districts in a wide array of procurement and construction matters, including both traditional (Design-Bid Build) and alternative delivery (Design-Build, Progressive Design-Build and General Contractor / Construction Manager) projects.
We provide advice from the outset of capital project inception. Our procurement and construction lawyers work hand-in-hand with our planning and development lawyers to provide comprehensive project-based advice.
We advise school districts at all phases of the construction process, including:
- Advising districts in evaluating, defending and prosecuting challenges to public bidding procedures (i.e. bid protest matters).
- Assisting districts with drafting, developing, and revising procurement and public works policies, consistent with state laws (and school district-specific requirements) and district objectives.
- Assisting districts with drafting and revising procurement documents, including requests for qualification (RFQs) and requests for proposals (RFPs) on both traditional Design-Bid-Build projects as well as Design-Build, Progressive Design-Build, and General Contractor / Construction Manager (GC/CM) under ch. 39.10 RCW.
- Assisting and advising districts with respect to evaluation and approval of alternative delivery projects under ch. 39.10 RCW, including guidance on application to the Washington State Project Review Committee and procurement and selection of project delivery consultants.
- Assisting districts with compliance with audit requirements associated with different procurement methodologies.
- Assisting districts with “piggybacking” issues and procurement using lead agency and/or cooperative purchasing collective contracts.
- Assisting districts with qualifications-based procurement of Architecture and/or Engineering contracts consistent with the requirements of ch. 39.80 RCW.
- Assisting districts with navigation of COVID-19 related issues and resolution of related claims.
Finally, when necessary, we assist school districts in claims resolution arising from capital project construction. With years of experience, we seek to help resolve disputes through negotiation when possible; we additionally represent school districts in construction disputes and claims in mediation, arbitration, and litigation.