As a school district and appellate lawyer, Sarah Johnson provides advice and counsel to public clients, and represents them in state and federal trials and appeals.
Sarah Johnson is a municipal and education lawyer, with a focus on representing public school districts throughout Washington. Sarah assists school districts in the areas of general counseling, special education, student discipline, public records compliance, open public meetings and other areas of law affecting school districts. Sarah draws upon her years of experience as a federal and state court litigator to counsel and advocate for school districts in appeals arising from administrative special education disputes and related federal court litigation before both the Eastern and Western Washington District Courts, as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Sarah also provides general counsel support to other public entities, including in the areas of public records compliance.
Sarah is admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington. She is a member of the King County Bar Association and a former trustee of its Young Lawyers Division.
Prior to law school, Sarah worked as a communications specialist and organizer for a community-based anti-violence initiative in Minnesota. While in law school, Sarah was a member of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, where she represented indigent individuals in litigation involving housing law, family law and government benefits.
In her free time, Sarah enjoys traveling, competitive horseback riding and spending time with her husband and three children.
- Macalester College, B.A., cum laude, Communication Studies
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude (member Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, 2001-2003)
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Commercial Litigation, 2022
- Selected for Washington Super Lawyers, 2014-2021
- Selected for Top 50 Women: Washington Super Lawyers, 2016
- Selected for Washington Rising Stars, 2007, 2009-2012
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2009