With an extensive and diverse real estate practice, John De Lanoy represents clients in acquisitions, financing, construction, and dispute resolution.
John De Lanoy’s comprehensive real estate practice encompasses all aspects of real estate structuring, development, and operations. He is experienced in real property transactions and acquisitions, contract and lease negotiations, real estate portfolio management, risk management and due diligence, new construction projects and operations, and dispute resolution and litigation management.
John also regularly counsels clients regarding entity formation, joint ventures, permitting and entitlement, land acquisition and disposition, construction and architect contracts, due diligence matters such as title/survey review, and CC&Rs/condominium declarations.
John has represented numerous regional and national owners, developers, and operators regarding a wide range of projects including retail, mixed-use, hospitality/restaurant, multifamily, condominiums, and all classes of high-rise and office space. His projects have included, among others, developing financing for one of the premier assisted living companies in the Pacific Northwest; handling all aspects of acquisition and development of a Seattle five-star hotel with luxury residential condominiums; restructuring a construction loan for one of the region’s largest condominium development projects; acquisition and financing of a $60 million hotel and marina in San Diego for an out-of-state pension fund; representing multiple private equity funds in fund formation, securities compliance, and through the closing of loans to distressed real estate projects; and assisting a large, regional hospital with construction contracts for new hospital buildings, sales of surplus properties, and leasing of satellite offices.
Before joining Pacifica, John was a partner with another Seattle-based law firm and chaired its real estate group for four years. He also is an accomplished business lawyer, with experience in business mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, licensing, and general corporate representation.
John’s personal interests include triathlons, paddle boarding, sailing, and coaching soccer.
- Colgate University, B.A., History/English, cum laude
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Real Estate Law, 2019-2021
- Selected for Washington Rising Stars 2004-2005
- 40 Under 40 Award Recipient, 2008, Puget Sound Business Journal
- Condo Conversions in a New Economy, Commercial Brokers Association Continuing Education Event Presenter, Kirkland, WA, January 14, 2014
- Bainbridge Island Fire Department, Volunteer Fire Fighter
- Senior living company in connection with acquisition, development and financing of assisted care facilities in Washington and California: (i) negotiated AIA construction and architect’s contracts; (ii) negotiated construction and permanent financing in excess of $250 million; (iii) negotiated joint venture agreements; (iv) negotiated day-to-day operational contracts for individual facilities; and (v) helped acquire liquor licensing for individual facilities.
- Developer of mixed use project consisting of luxury hotel, retail, and residential condominiums in connection with acquisition and development of project: (i) provided risk management advice; (ii) negotiated restrictive covenants encumbering property; (iii) assisted in acquisition of air space over neighboring properties in order to increase available FAR; (iv) helped create mixed use condominium structure; and (v) provided leasing counsel regarding commercial space.
- Pension fund manager in connection with the acquisition, development, and financing of hotels in San Diego and Boston: (i) negotiated ground lease; (ii) negotiated development agreement; and (iii) negotiated joint venture agreement.
- Owner of national hotel chain in $30 million hotel acquisition and permanent financing project including: (i) negotiated new hotel franchise agreement; (ii) assisted in corporate restructuring of owner entity; and (iii) negotiated ground lease.
- Owner of local health and fitness club chain: (i) negotiated facility leases and day-to-day operational contracts; and (ii) provided legal counsel in asset sale to national health and fitness chain.
- Large, national lender in connection with restructuring of a $275 million construction loan relating to a distressed mixed use condominium project: (i) negotiated deed in lieu agreement with developer; (ii) negotiated an intercreditor agreement with five participating senior lenders and mezzanine lender; (iii) negotiated commercial space leases; and (iv) provided strategic advice regarding condominium structure and efforts to sell 500 residential condominiums.
- Seattle based commercial property and asset management company in connection with its merger with a Pacific Northwest real estate holding company: (i) negotiated merger agreement; (ii) provided due diligence relating to corporate and real estate assets; (iii) assisted in corporate restructuring of surviving entity; and (iv) negotiated multiple loan assumptions relating to real estate assets.
- A full service real estate company in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of office buildings and shopping centers throughout the Pacific Northwest: (i) negotiated commercial office leases in Seattle office portfolio; (ii) negotiated joint ventures with equity partners on new acquisitions; and (iii) negotiated day-to-day operational contracts including elevator contracts, property and asset management contracts, tenant improvement contracts, and maintenance contracts.
- Local hospital system in connection with multiple expansion projects: (i) negotiated construction contracts for new hospital buildings; (ii) assisted with sale of surplus properties; and (iii) provided leasing counsel for satellite offices.